Atlantic City Sex Crime Defense Lawyer
If you have been accused of a sex crime in New Jersey, you need an experienced and knowledgeable criminal defense lawyer who will stand up for you and make sure that your side of the story is told. When your reputation and freedom are literally at stake, don’t take chances. Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney who knows the laws, court system and judges in South Jersey.
John W. Tumelty is the lawyer you want on your side when you have been charged with a sex crime in Atlantic or Cape May counties. He is the founding partner of the Law Offices of John W. Tumelty and is also a former state prosecutor and a former Atlantic County prosecutor with 30 years of criminal law experience. As a New Jersey Supreme Court certified criminal trial attorney, he has a deep understanding of the criminal justice system in New Jersey and knows his way around the courtroom. Mr. Tumelty’s prosecutorial experience has been invaluable to his criminal defense practice, allowing him to secure acquittals and dismissals for numerous clients in high-profile criminal cases throughout South Jersey, including Cape May County and Atlantic County.
How Severe Are the Penalties for Sex Crimes in New Jersey?
NJ prosecutors often seek maximum penalties in sex crime cases because the public perception of these kinds of offenses is so negative. Some of the most frequently charged sex crimes in New Jersey are:
- Aggravated Sexual Assault: Any kind of violent sexual assault or illegal sexual contact with a minor under the age of 13 can result in first degree aggravated sexual assault charges and significant penalties.
- Sexual Assault: Rape or illegal sexual contact with minors of a certain age can result in second degree sexual assault charges.
- Criminal Sexual Contact: Lesser forms of sexual assault can be charged as criminal sexual contact, which is punishable by prison time and sex offender registration requirements.
- Internet Sex Crimes: Both state and federal laws apply to Internet sex crimes involving minors.
- Child Pornography: If you’ve been accused of possession or distribution of sexually explicit images of minors, it is imperative that you contact an attorney because NJ prosecutors tend to aggressively prosecute child pornography cases.
- Child Abuse and Molestation: If you are accused of engaging in sexual conduct with a child for whose care you are legally responsible, you can be charged with second or third degree endangering the welfare of a child.
- Lewdness: Depending upon the circumstances, indecent exposure can result in felony charges and significant prison time.
- Prostitution: Although engaging in prostitution is typically classified as a disorderly persons offense, promoting prostitution may be classified as a third degree felony and subject an offender to as many as five years in NJ State Prison.
The penalties for sex crimes in New Jersey vary, depending on the type and specific circumstances of the offense. However, the penalties in these cases are almost always severe. For certain offenses, such as aggravated sexual assault, you can be charged with a first degree felony and face between 10 and 20 years in NJ State Prison if convicted. Additionally, since aggravated sexual assault is considered a violent crime in the No Early Release Act, you may be required to serve a minimum of 85 percent of any sentence imposed by the court before you are eligible for parole.
In addition to the immediate consequences that you face if you are convicted of a sex crime in New Jersey, you might also be subject to Megan’s Law registration requirements. This means that you may have to register as a sex offender for the rest of your life. Being forced to tell the world about your sex offender status can make your life a living hell, placing a severe strain on your personal relationships and limiting your career choices. Additionally, if required, you will not have a choice in the matter because failure to register as a sex offender when ordered by court to do so is a criminal offense which carries severe penalties.
Call John W. Tumelty to Schedule a Free Consultation with an Experienced Cape May and Atlantic City Sex Crimes Lawyer
Having an experienced criminal defense lawyer on your side gives you the best chance of securing a favorable resolution to your case and keeping your criminal record clean of a sex crime conviction. Mr. Tumelty is an aggressive criminal defense lawyer who knows what it takes to win even the most difficult cases. His experience as both a prosecutor and a criminal defense attorney gives him unique insight into how to effectively negotiate with prosecutors for favorable plea agreements. Mr. Tumelty also knows his way around the courtroom, as evidenced by his track record of winning criminal cases in both superior courts and municipal courts throughout South Jersey.
If you’ve been charged with a sex crime in New Jersey, call Mr. Tumelty today. Don’t wait. You need to speak with a tenacious litigator and an experienced criminal defense lawyer about your case. You can also email him to schedule a free consultation at his Marmora or Somers Point offices.