The Law Offices of John W. Tumelty
Local Attorney Who Understands the Nuances of NJ Criminal Law
Put John W. Tumelty’s Impressive Criminal and DWI Defense Experience to Work for You
- Over 35 years of criminal law experience in New Jersey as a defense attorney and a former prosecutor
- Represents clients in high-profile criminal cases throughout South Jersey, including Atlantic and Cape May counties
- Proven track record of fighting and winning criminal cases, including murder trials, drug distribution jury trials, and weapons offense charges
- Former State Prosecutor who served as a Deputy Attorney General with the New Jersey Attorney General’s Office, Division of Criminal Justice
- Former assistant county prosecutor who served with the Atlantic County Prosecutor’s Office, Trial Section
- New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Criminal Trial Attorney since 1995
- New Jersey Supreme Court Municipal Court Law Attorney.
- Offers round-the-clock service and free consultations at his offices in Atlantic City, Somers Points and Marmora, New Jersey
Local Atlantic City Criminal and DWI Defense Attorney Protects Clients at Every Stage of the Legal Process
The Law Offices of John W. Tumelty is a highly respected law firm with a rich tradition in South Jersey. Mr. Tumelty is a former state and county prosecutor who investigated and prosecuted major felony crimes, including murder, attempted murder, armed robbery, aggravated sexual assault, aggravated assault, white-collar crimes, and serious drug crimes.
Mr. Tumelty resigned from his position at the county prosecutor’s office to start his own criminal law practice in South Jersey. Now he devotes his entire legal practice to representing individuals who have been charged with criminal offenses and DWI violations. His trial experience on both sides – as a prosecutor and as a criminal defense lawyer – gives him unique insight into how the other side evaluates a case and prepares for court.
Mr. Tumelty is a sole practitioner who has a strong commitment to serving the best interests of his clients. He understands that this is the most important thing happening in your life right now. You can rest assured he will work tirelessly on your behalf and seek a favorable resolution to your criminal matter. He will also provide you with personalized attention. When you hire John Tumelty, you know that your case will not be passed off to a new attorney or junior associate. He will help you from the initial interview until the case is successfully resolved. He will also work with skilled and experienced private investigators, accident reconstructionists, forensic psychologists and psychiatrists, and other experts who may be necessary for building a successful defense strategy in your case.
Everything Mr. Tumelty does is aimed at achieving a dismissal or a not-guilty result in your case so that you get through this without having a criminal record.
Mr. Tumelty’s aggressive approach to criminal defense means that he is prepared to fight for you in the courtroom if your case goes to trial. Since he appears in municipal and superior courtrooms throughout Atlantic County and Cape May County on a daily basis, he has probably dealt with the prosecutor and the judge in the court where you will end up going for your case. Knowing the local prosecutor is critically important and helps tremendously in getting the charge dismissed.
Certified Legal Specialties
- New Jersey Supreme Court certified criminal trial attorney since 1995. There are approximately 45,000 attorneys in New Jersey. Less than two percent of all NJ attorneys have earned the distinction of being a certified trial attorney.
- New Jersey, 1984
- Pennsylvania, 1983
- Widener University School of Law, Wilmington, Delaware
- J.D. – 1983
- Rider College, Lawrenceville, New Jersey
- B.S. – 1979
- Major: Accounting
Pro Bono Activities
- New Jersey State Bar District Ethics Committee, 2004 – 2008