NJ DUI Penalties for First, Second, & Third Offenses
The holiday season is coming soon. Thanksgiving is only weeks away and before you know it, we’ll be enjoying many festive gatherings. If one thing is certain; car accidents increase this time of the year.
One big reason for increased accidents is the bad winter weather, but the other main culprit is alcohol. Drinking and driving is never a good combination. It can result in severe collisions and also lead to a DUI/DWI.
If you’re planning on drinking at parties during the holidays, please find a sober driver. If you get charged with a DUI, you could face the following punishments:
Penalties for First-Time DUI Offenders
If you get caught drinking and driving for the first time, you could face multiple potential penalties, including:
- Blood alcohol concentration (BAC) between .08 and .10: 3 months of ignition interlock device (IID) usage but no driver’s license suspension (technically, your license will be suspended for however many days it takes for the IID to be installed, at which point you can drive again).
- BAC between .10 and .15: 7-12 months of IID usage but no driver’s license suspension (as outlined in the previous bullet point).
- BAC over .15: Driver’s license will be suspended for 4-6 months and an IID must be used during the entire suspension plus 9-15 more months after the suspension ends.
Second-Offense DUI Penalties
- Mandatory license suspension ranging from one to two years.
- Ignition interlock device (IID) must be installed both during and following the period of license suspension. This means the Court will order you to install an IID during the license suspension and for an additional term ranging from two to four years following the license suspension.
DUI Penalties for Third-Offense and Beyond
Sentencing for third-time offenders and subsequent offenders includes:
- Mandatory license suspension of eight years.
- An ignition interlock device must be installed during and after the license suspension and must remain installed for an additional period ranging from two to four years after the license suspension is over.
These aren’t the only penalties you could face for a DUI. Other sentences could include jail time and thousands of dollars in fines and fees from the courts and your insurance company.
Get Your Free Consultation with an Atlantic County DUI/DWI Lawyer
If you’ve been arrested for DUI/DWI in Atlantic County or anywhere else in South Jersey, reach out to the Law Offices of John W. Tumelty for help. We’re available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and offer a free initial consultation.